I’m going to Dallas in July for the RWA Annual Conference! Squeeee! I have no idea how it happened, I was exchanging emails with a couple of writing buddies I have in the Dallas area and all of a sudden, we were making plans to attend together. Terri and Becky have offered to pick me up from the airport, and Terri has generously offered to put us both up at her home just 25 minutes from the Marriott where the convention is being held. (That’s why I’m going for my passport) But Holy Moly, it’s frightening too, the idea of actually jumping into the deep end with the big kids.
And now for the meme I totally stole from Amy Ruttan’s blog:
1. HEIGHT: 5’7 1/2 – I used to be 5’8″ but I’m shrinking in my old age.
2. HAVE YOU EVER SMOKED HEROIN?: Nope, never done any drugs, had enough trouble getting free of my parents to want to be stupid enough to get trapped by a chemical dependency
3. DO YOU OWN A GUN?: I’m Canadian – no gun, though I have shot a bb gun, and wouldn’t mind trying my hand at target shooting.
4. WHO WOULD YOU LET EAT CRACKERS IN YOUR BED?: Hmm, I like the version of whose boots I’d like stashed under the bed … crackers are messy. But I guess if … Hugh Jackman were to show up with a box of crackers I wouldn’t kick him out.
5. DO YOU GET NERVOUS BEFORE DR. APPOINTMENTS?: Not usually, unless it’s a pap. Yuck. And I look forward to my acupuncture that my chiropractor does — the benefits are so worth it, plus it doesn’t hurt at all.
6. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF HOT DOGS: As little as possible.
7. WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONG?: Loreena McKennitt’s Let All that are to Mirth Inclined, to listen to. Silent Night to sing. Especially in German.
8. WHAT DO YOU PREFER TO DRINK IN THE MORNING?: English Breakfast Tea.
9. IS YOUR BATHROOM CLEAN?: um, sure, like I’m going to admit anything else. But considering I’m the only female in a houseful of guys, what do you think?
10. CAN YOU DO PUSH UPS?: While I used to have a green belt and LOVED doing push ups and sit ups, I can probably only do a push up – singular – now.
11. WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE PIECE OF JEWELRY?: My engagement ring/ wedding ring combo – I had to get them welded together because they wore so thin and broke a few years ago.
12. DO YOU LIKE PAINKILLERS?: If I’m in pain, then yes. D’uh!
13. WHAT IS YOUR SECRET WEAPON TO LURE IN THE OPPOSITE SEX?: Been married 28 years. Don’t need a secret weapon anymore. I just have to roll over to hubby and say ‘hey, you awake?’ *snort* I guess I shouldn’t admit that when I write romances.
14. DO YOU HAVE A.D.D.?: No but my hubby and youngest son do. I think it’s catching. I can’t concentrate the way I used to.
15. WHAT’S YOUR NAME?: Here? It’s Leah. Elsewhere it’s different.
16. MIDDLE NAME?: Haven’t thought up one yet … but in real life it’s Diana
17. NAME 3 THOUGHTS AT THIS EXACT MOMENT: I’m tired. Should I be going to Dallas – it’s an awful lot of money? I wish I could sing like Loreena McKennitt.
18. NAME THE LAST 3 THINGS YOU BOUGHT: An Xbox 360 for my two sons’ birthdays (they’re sharing it), feminine hygiene products (well, you asked!), a chocolate cake for my eldest son’s birthday on Sunday.
19. WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE VISUAL ARTIST?: Holbein
20. YOU’RE STUCK ON A DESERTED ISLAND WITH TWO OTHER PEOPLE, WHO WOULD YOU WANT TO BE STRANDED WITH? : The Professor and Mary Anne. Definitely not Ginger or Gilligan.
21. YOU’VE WON A MAJOR AWARD AND HAVE THANKED YOUR FAMILY, WHO ELSE WOULD YOU THANK? : Becky H. for encouraging me to write and sticking with me even when I was at my worst.
22. CURRENT WORRY?: Money and the leak in our roof. (I had to borrow that from Amy, but if you’ve read my blog, you know the leak is still a concern.)
23. CURRENT HATE?: Generalizations. Money grubbing paper-work-causing government employees — all except my hubby who is a government employee. Him I love.
24. FAVORITE PLACE TO BE?: England in the summer, snorkelling in the Virgin Islands in the winter.
25. HOW DID YOU RING IN THE NEW YEAR?: Reading an ebook on the computer — hubby went to sleep at about 10.
26. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO?: England, England, and um, England.
27. DO YOU OWN SLIPPERS?: Yes — sheepskin and lined. If it’s 68F in the living room it’s 62 in my office and too frickin’ cold to be in anything less.
28. WHAT SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?: A brown striped sweater my hubby bought me for Christmas.
29. DO YOU BURN OR TAN?: Burn first, tan later. Except in the Virgin Islands, then I burn to a crisp. Ask me about April 2004. OUCH!
30. FAVORITE COLORS?: Hunter Green and deep blue.
31. WOULD YOU BE A PIRATE?: Depends if you’re talking about a real life pirate, or the romantical versions we read about. But I probably wouldn’t be. I’m too honest for my own good.
32. ARE YOU GAY?: No, just happy.
33. WHAT SONGS DO YOU SING IN THE SHOWER?: I don’t sing in the shower. Pity the fool who would have to listen to me if I did. And yet I used to be in a choir. Did I mention I’m tone deaf? The choir were probably happy to see the last of me.
34. WHAT DID YOU FEAR WAS GOING TO GET YOU AT NIGHT AS A CHILD?
Fire – I trained myself to sleep on my back because I was afraid if I slept on my side, the other side of the room I couldn’t see would catch on fire.
35. WHAT’S IN YOUR POCKETS RIGHT NOW?: Lint.
36. WHERE ARE YOU?: Sitting at my computer, where do you think?
37. BEST BED SHEETS AS A CHILD?: They were white cotton that my father brought back from India from one of his many trips to the far east. My mother is still using them 50 years later, they’re such good quality.
38. WORST INJURY YOU’VE EVER HAD?: Stepped on a cocktail toothpick and it broke off inside my foot — had to have surgery to remove it. I still remember swearing volubly at the surgeon who cut into my foot before the freezing took effect.
39. YOU’RE ON A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD AND HAVE TO SELECT FIVE LANDMARKS TO VISIT WHAT WOULD YOU PICK?: Windsor Castle (again), the walls around York (again) especially Bootham Gate, Stone Henge, Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile, the Vatican.
40. HOW MANY TV’s DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR HOME?: Two
41. WHO IS YOUR LOUDEST FRIEND?: Glady
42. WHO IS YOUR QUIETEST FRIEND?: Sherry
43. DOES SOMEONE HAVE A CRUSH ON YOU?: My husband
44. DO YOU WISH ON SHOOTING STARS?: Always – I’m very superstitious
45. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BOOK?: Lord of the Rings
46. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CANDY?: Toblerone
47. WHAT SONG DO/DID YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR WEDDING?: We didn’t have a dance at the wedding – had a small afternoon wedding and took off leaving the family to have a party at my parents’ home.
48. WHAT SONG DO YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR FUNERAL?: Hmm .. Goin’ Home by Dvorak – the choral version, not just the orchestral edition.
49. WHAT WERE YOU DOING AT 12 AM LAST NIGHT? Reading.
50. WHAT WAS THE FIRST THING YOU THOUGHT OF WHEN YOU WOKE UP? I’m not ready to get up yet!