My freebie short story, Cherry Cottage, is up for download today over at The Samhellion. After today it’ll be here. This story absolutely kicked my behind to write. It took me a week as well as phone calls from Texas and Louisiana as my critique partners poked and prodded me before I could move forward on it.
- there really is a Cherry Cottage built in 1877. However, it is not in Niagara Falls. It is in Bowmanville Ontario though since I lived in it, it’s been renovated and is now an assisted living facility.
- the real Cherry Cottage used to have (I really hope it still does) huge wooden doors that slid out of the wall to separate the living room from the dining room the way the hero describes.
- the “carriage house” behind the real Cherry Cottage has long since been converted to a house and sold separately
- there were a long line of lilacs in the back yard but no apple or cherry trees in its front or back yards which always made me wonder why it was called Cherry Cottage
- the locale of the B&B in Niagara Falls was based upon Park Place where GG & I stayed last fall. It is on River Road overlooking the gorge, though it was built in the 1880s. And no, it needs no renovations. It’s a beautiful B&B that I highly recommend if you’re ever in the area. And yes, it does have a carriage house behind it that visitors can choose to stay in but there is no gazebo, more’s the pity.
- the couple Brian takes a picture of was based on photos Gizmo Guy took of me on our honeymoon in Niagara Falls
- there can be snow and ice in the gorge even as late as May
- tulips and daffodils are only now blooming in the area, apple trees and cherry trees will be blooming into mid to late May.
- No, I don’t look like that any more. Again, more’s the pity.
Here’s a short book trailer I did for it. Yeah, I was bored one night and in a total *Head/desk* mood about Andy’s story (still without a title-gah!) so I distracted myself with this little project. The videos are ones Gizmo Guy and I took in the fall of 2008, not in the spring unfortunately. Enjoy!