I’m so excited to be here!
When I was thinking about this blog it occurred to me that guest blogging is kind of like going to a party where you only know the hostess and have to be introduced to everyone else… and make a first impression (hopefully a good one)! You don’t want to offend anyone, or embarrass your hostess or leave with people thinking you’re a nut. So, in general, you would initially stick with safe topics right? How many kids people have, what they do for a living, do they like wasabi tuna? You know, normal, regular stuff.
But you all know I’m a romance writer. Which automatically means a few things: I can spend hours by myself talking only to the voices in my head, I’m very interested in synonyms for intercourse and I not only write sex scenes but intentionally put them out there for people (the more the better!) to read. I actually type words like ‘nipple’ and ‘erection’ (and others!) on paper knowing that other people are going to read them. So, I guess I feel like I’ve already been a bit exposed at this party… might as well tell you some other things about me that I don’t share in typical day to day conversation!
- I drink about 16 oz of Starbucks frappucino a day.
- I don’t believe that a day should start until at least 7 a.m. People who get up, work out, read the paper, fix a big breakfast and still look better than me all by 6—well, there’s just something wrong with them and I’m sorry there’s no medication for it.
- I can dislike camping and still be a good person. For some reason, I attract people who love the great outdoors. My friends camp and fish, hike, bike (if you’ve never heard of RAGBRAA* you gotta check this website out: http://ragbrai.com/… yeah, I know a lot of those people!)… in general like being outside. I spent years thinking that I should be more like them. I’ve tried it all… and hated it. Sorry. I think nature is amazing and beautiful (at times). I enjoy great scenery. I like trees and bunnies and butterflies. Sure. But, God invented houses and I don’t want to insult him by shunning roofs and walls for dirt, bugs and …weather. And then there are snakes. Come on. If God wanted us to be outside, he would not have put snakes out there.
- My husband knows more about laundry than I do. Lucky me, right? Right!
Okay, so now that I’ve got all of that out in the open, maybe I should confess some things about my writing:
- My first book, No Matter What, was first written six years ago. Yes, it’s been revised a few times since then, but I hate to say it took six years to write because, wow, seriously, what was I doing? Writing long hand with a piece of coal by firelight?
- I write on my laptop while my kids watch cartoons. Is it bad parenting to be writing hot sex scenes while your kids watch Spongebob Squarepants?
- I know almost nothing about Facebook, MySpace, or Twitter. I don’t really want to know anything about it, either, but I’ve had to suck it up and figure it out. Good thing my daughter can help me!
- My first book is about a physical therapist and a millionaire. I am a physical therapist. I am not a millionaire. (Still my writing research was easy!)
- My second book (out in April) is about an trauma surgeon and an ER nurse. I am neither a trauma surgeon (or any other kind of surgeon) or a nurse (of any kind). Because I would suck at both of those jobs. Physical therapists don’t have to deal with the immediate effects of gunshot wounds, people being impaled with objects, or ten car pile-ups. We work with people after these things, after all that nasty blood has been cleaned up!
Whew! Okay. I haven’t been kicked out of the party yet. No one’s looking at me in shock. In fact, most of you are thinking how much you like those books with words like ‘nipple’ and ‘erection’ in them, right?! I’ll even bet a few of you have some great confessions to make! Come on, share!
To make it easier, I’ll give anybody who confesses something a sneak peek (the complete first chapter) of No Matter What!
For an even bigger prize, go to my website, read the excerpt for No Matter What and tell me one thing that Jaden tells Adam she likes (e-mail answer to Erin@ErinNicholas.com. Be sure to put Leah’s Blog in the subject line). At midnight (CST) I’ll choose a winner from all the correct answers! Winner gets a copy of the book and a gift certificate to Lush (www.Lush.com. Fantastic handmade cosmetics and scents!).
Leah, thanks for having me and everyone, thanks for reading! You can find me (in spite of my note above) on Facebook and Twitter, as well as my website, my blog (with eight other awesome authors… the Nine Naughty Novelists), my newsletter or e-mail me!
*RAGBRAI®, The Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa